Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 12

Today we spent the morning practicing water rescue techniques, and of course I was the only girl to get paired up with a guy.  Have you ever tried to fireman carry someone twice your size?  It's really, really hard!  I mean it's not like Trevor is fat or anything.  But seriously, boys are heavy.

Carrying people is exhausting.


In the afternoon we had another boat dive.  This time we dove off of Klein Bonaire, which is the little uninhabited island off of Bonaire.

See that little island smack dab in the middle?  That's Klein Bonaire.

It was a great site, tons of corals and fish!  We tried to do some sciencey stuff with tools and tape measures but I'm pretty sure my mask was too foggy to record valid data.  Some of the other students saw octopi and a sea turtle!  I got a charlie horse right after surfacing--thank goodness I wasn't underwater!--and had a bit of an incident.  I didn't have my snorkel or regulator in my mouth and started choking on the water, so I was lucky that a few others were on the surface and helped me inflate and get my snorkel.  But because they were helping me, they didn't get to see the turtle!  I felt pretty bad about that.


We're like an underwater herd.

Collecting data, doing science.  

Apart from the charlie horse, I've also developed mild vertigo.  It isn't bad, except for when I'm trying to write or focus on something.  Apparently it's not uncommon for new divers, so I'm not horribly concerned.  Something to do with all the equalizing we do underwater messing up the delicate balance of the ears.  I'm sure it'll be fine within a few days but in the meantime it's pretty trippy.

No comments:

Post a Comment