Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 8

Yesterday I had my very first Australian barbecue!  I stole some starfruit off a tree and bought hamburger meat, beef sausages (snags!), and kangaroo steaks!!!  I had to freeze the meat because coolers here cost an arm and a leg (over $100!), but we made it to the city and found a free barbecue without much trouble.  We started with about 8 people, but a group of fellow James Cook students joined us for a while.  Some even brought their own snags!  Most just ate our food, but we didn't mind.  We had too much food to finish, and the more the merrier!

The recipe was pretty simple and easy.  All I did was throw on some salt and pepper, wrap it in tinfoil, and throw it on the barbie.  Kangaroo is a very lean meat, so you have to be careful to not overcook it.  (It also smells kinda weird.  You know that 'raw meat' smell that steak has?  Imagine that, but times ten.  It's not bad, but it's just... strong.)  Three minutes per side was plenty for my steaks, and they came out lovely and tender and red in the middle!

Snags on the left, kangaroo on the right!  I felt like a master chef yesterday.

The verdict on kangaroo?  Kangaroo tastes almost exactly like beef.  It tastes quite good when seasoned, but I left one of the steaks unseasoned and it tasted like absolute crap.  Everyone was surprised that I can grill--do I really seem that unwomanly?  People are always so surprised when they discover how domestic I really am!

I've also got more hiking photos!  I'm actually in a few of these, because Hallie took them all.  Thanks, Hallie!  :)

Check out this tree growth!  How does it do that?!

This is a river.  Or it will be, once wet season rolls around.  It may also fill with crocodiles, if we're lucky!

This is kind of like a bridge, only it angles almost straight down...
Is it supposed to make the trail easier?  I just don't know!

Some kind of bug!  It kinda looks like a praying mantis, but smaller.  A teacup praying mantis?
Me!
Me, farther away!  With Ryan behind me!
The trail!  One of the better parts, anyway.  Lots of parts are 'obstructed' by
fallen trees, thick foliage, and scary bridges.
I have learned something about myself here: I LOVE SPIDERS.

Well, I love the pretty ones, anyway.  This is a St. Andrew's Cross spider, I think.  Probably.

Camouflage tree!

What the heck is this?  It's got a bubble-looking thing inside!  Weird!

I climbed onto a termite mound and into a tree!

Wow, I almost look like a serious photographer here.  This photo is not an accurate
depiction of real life.  I just press the button and it takes nice pictures!
Tomorrow we're off to Fitzroy Island!  I have been told that there will be lots of sea turtles there, so I'm bringing my underwater camera!  And also my wetsuit, because I tell you what, Australia is freaking COLD in the winter.  No, seriously, I have a jersey cotton sheet, two blankets and a wool quilt on my bed.  Yeah, that cold.  Anyway, I'm off to prep my camera!  Look forward to more cool photos tomorrow!

-Ashton

No comments:

Post a Comment