Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day 44

Today my class went to the Flecker Botanical Gardens to learn about plants.  That doesn't sound very exciting, I know, but once we stopped caring about filling out our paper (that took about 10 seconds) and started to just look around, it was pretty cool.  I'm not one for flowers, but I think some of these can kill you.  And that always makes things more interesting!

The gardens were created in 1886, so the plants here have had plenty of time to get nice and big.  Let's try to make this educational, shall we?  And if education doesn't interest you, just scroll through the pretty pictures.  :)

This is a pitcher plant.  There is only one genus, Nepenthes, in the entire Nepenthaceae family.  The pitcher plant requires lots of rainfall, which it collects in the pitcher.  Glands around the top produce nectar to attract ants and other insects; the rim around the top is slippery and causes the bugs to fall into the pitcher.  More glands inside the plant produce digestive fluids, which basically dissolves whatever falls in.  This is my new favorite plant because it's carnivorous!

I didn't know all of this when I tipped one over to see what came out.  A bit of it landed on me, but don't worry, I'm fine!

Did you know that ginger grows on trees?  Okay, not really, since we actually use the rhizomes (roots) of the ginger plants.  They sure make a pretty flower though, don't they?

Torch Ginger, from the family Zingiberaceae.  Isn't that a fun name?
 
Heliconias are very pretty and very big.  This one here is about two feet long.


This is also a Heliconia.  It kinda reminds me of barbecue ribs.


The next few photos are of orchids.  There was a whole orchid house at the Flecker Botanical Gardens.  Orchids don't smell very flowery so they're nice in my book.

I love the pattern in the middle!

These remind me of dragons.

Honestly I don't even know if this is an orchid.

But look how fuzzy it is!
Okay, education time is over.  I have no idea what any of the rest of this is, so just enjoy the pretties!

It's a tree-urchin!  (Get it?  It rhymes with 'sea urchin?'  I think I'm turning into my mother.)



This is the view from below.  The vines are pretty strong but I was afraid to swing on them in the Gardens.

Artsy-fartsy fern photo!

Jumping spider!  Isn't he just adorable?  Look at those big ol' eyes!



It's like a big pink flower-snake!


I have no idea if those are berries or flowers.  I wasn't brave enough for a taste test.



It's a potato tree!  The 'potatoes' got up to a foot long.  I wonder if they're edible?



These were tiny!  Maybe a centimeter wide, each.

Spiky tree, wouldn't want to fall into this guy.

The view from the boardwalk.
Tonight I did more toad-hunting and caught five, no problemo.  I think I'm getting better at this!  I also got sprayed with toad pus today--I thought they were peeing on me at first, but it turns out they just squirt pus out of their bums.  Charming, yes?  It's actually a bit dangerous if it gets in your eye, because then you absorb it and bad things happen.  Dogs die fairly regularly from licking the toads, so I made sure to wash my hands well.

Cape Tribulation is coming up this weekend!  I have no idea what's up there but I'm sure it will be lovely.

Cheers,
Ashton

3 comments:

  1. The photos are incredibly beautiful Ashton. Mind my asking, what camera you are using exactly?? :)

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I used a Canon EOS 550D/Rebel T2i with the standard Canon 18-55mm lens. :)

    ReplyDelete