Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 22

We finally had a weekend off!  It was an excellent lazy weekend.  Friday night was a little rough, but Saturday was relaxing and tonight is the Superbowl!  No idea if the American ads will be showing here though.  :(

There was a family of squids outside Yellow Sub all weekend!  (Yellow Sub is the dive shop we use, right on the water.  We use their dock for tanning and go drinking with them a lot.  They're pretty fun folks.)  The squids were SOOOO CUTE.  There were three on Friday and Saturday, and then today we checked and there were four babies!  Of course I went crazy with the photos.  (More on my picasa account, see the left sidebar for the link.)

Oh hi there!

Kyle's camera is MUCH fancier than mine.

"Phwoosh, I'm blue!"  (They change colors.)

Big squid.

Big squid + little squid!

Pretty!
They're good buds.

Squids can change colors.  They turn white when they're scared, and dark when they're angry.  Today the big ones were chasing me away from the babies.  They got right up in my face, and I wasn't sure if they could bite so I backed up.  They looked so angry!

"Rawr!  I'm angry!"
 I saw some cool fish too:


White-spotted Filefish

Trunkfish

I'm still waiting to hear back about my independent research proposal.  The meeting with the park director went well, probably.  (Also of interest: he was pretty hot, especially for his age.  If he's single I will definitely try to set him up with my mother.  I am such a good daughter, right?)  I sent in the proposal but I don't know when I'll hear back about it, so in the meantime my backup project will be seeing if the peacock flounder's camouflage abilities extend to the ultraviolet range.  Ultraviolet lenses cost about $3000, so I'm going to try my own made-up makeshift method which will involve an underwater flashlight, UV LEDs, and black lights.  It should be... interesting.  Hopefully my original project works out!  :)

1 comment: