Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 42

Today was a pretty good day!  We had class in the morning but all afternoon off, so Trevor and I went diving to mark more coral heads for his research project.  We're now up to 7 out of 10, so almost done!  We also saw a HUGE midnight parrotfish munching on the algae that grows on coral.  (Just imagine a deep blue three foot long fish with huge lips.  They're pretty!)  It was so big that we could actually hear it biting!

Afterwards I went snorkeling down to the marina to find cup corals, which are an invasive coral species and also the subject of my new research project!  I also saw two baby lionfish, a scorpionfish, a porcupine puffer fish (so cute!), and tons more, which surprised me.  But cup corals are very cool!  They grow on piers, metal, and the undersides of rocks.  They're very pretty and they're all over the place, so my project should be easy to get data for!

After sunset Trevor and I went for a night dive to gather preliminary data for his project, which is observing corals feeding.  During the day corals look hard and solid, and they're not bad looking.  But at night they extend their tentacles (which they use to catch tiny particles of food) and they become beautiful!  I brought my camera on the dive, and while I definitely need more practice with night photography, I was able to get a few good ones.

Colpophyllia (boulder brain) coral.  We went just after sunset
so this guy didn't have his tentacles out yet.  :(

It looks like a maze!

This is what the real colors are.  (The flash can ruin the colors.)
Not what you were expecting, right?  

Arrow crabs, like many other things, are much easier
to see at night!  

A little blurry, but these are brittle stars on a coral.
They only come out at night, and don't like lights.

During the day meandrina looks a lot like the boulder brain
coral, but at night it transforms into this hairy mess!

This montastrea cavernosa has some feeding and some
non-feeding polyps.  See the difference?

Tube-dwelling anemones are pretty, but you can only see them
at night.  They hide in tubes in the sand all day and come
out at night to feed!

Now to get to my big Friday night plans--writing a new research proposal!  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment