Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 53

This week has been busy and full of work.  I had to write an unbelievably boring and pointless lab report about our trip to Green Island.  The island was great, but not because of the sciencey bit we did.  An entire page of my report was dedicated to the inherent problems with our method, the insignificance of our data, and the realization that we could conclude nothing from the experiment.  I have a feeling that wasn't what my instructor wanted, but none of it is wrong, and my strong science ethic makes it impossible for me to conclude something from nothing!  But I've still got another lab report, two essays, an online midterm (that will actually be hard because it's about plants) and some other miscellaneous work.

But enough about the less-than-exciting aspects of studying abroad.  Some good things happened this week!  I learned that in two weeks I'll be going to Undara on a field trip!  Undara is where the ancient underground lava tubes are located!  I'm very excited about checking those out.  I hope we'll have time to explore on our own.  (Good thing I've got a headlamp!)

I also started 'work' today, but I don't think it went very well.  My job was to go around talking to the vendors at the Esplanade market, trying to get them to sign up for an online marketplace website.  I wasn't obnoxious about it, and most people were at least willing to hear my spiel.  A few people were rude, but for the most part it wasn't bad.  I got to talking with several of the artists, and I actually learned quite a lot of artsy stuff today, from glass-blowing techniques to dying methods and a bit of pottery advice.  I've got a whole list of new crafts to try once I get home--I'm sure my mother will be thrilled.  :)

After the market, I wandered around town looking for sushi and wine.  (Not together, mind you.)  I ended up in several Japanese tourist shops--there seem to be an abundance of these around here, manned by Japanese people and with signs written only in Japanese--and they have some weird stuff.  See for yourself.

This was advertised as a 'toad leather coin purse.'  You open the mouth and put your change into the stomach.
Personally this was a little too morbid for my taste but to each their own, right?

OH MY GOD WHY

Phew.  This is MUCH better.  I would have eaten here, but it was closed.
This wasn't in a shop but I found it pretty curious.  Look at the grass beneath this tree.  It's not grass at all--it's astroturf.  The other trees around had natural grass, but not this guy.  I wonder what happened that they decided to install astroturf here?

A little weird.

I never did find any sushi (everything is closed on the weekend) but I did find the liquor store.  I have made it my goal to try every wine that costs less than $5.  There are quite a few of them and they actually taste great by my poor-college-student tastes!  There is even a bottle for $2.97, but I'm saving the best for last.  (And by 'best' I mean 'worst.')  I also made it to Woolies (the grocery store) before the bus came and got a new kind of chocolate!

This could be very good, or very bad.  It looks toxic from the photo.
I think if it were any greener, it would be glowing.  

Uhh, still looks pretty toxic.  Fortunately it tastes pretty darn amazing, so I guess if I grow a third arm after eating
it, that's okay.  (Also, it does NOT glow in the dark.  I checked.)

I've finally gotten permission to photograph stuff at the aquarium, so hopefully I should be able to get some good photos soon!  :)

Cheers,
Ashton

No comments:

Post a Comment