Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 49

Today was a research day!  Every Wednesday here is devoted to our research projects.  We don't have class, but we do have advisor meetings.  Fortunately I did mine yesterday and got to sleep in today!

First we went on a dive for Trevor's project, and hammered in a few more marking stakes.  The stakes are made of PVC and rebar, and he hammers them in.  After we got all the stakes in we mapped the first 8 (of about 15) to help us find them in the dark.  We did a test run tonight and the map totally worked!  I can use a compass now, and it's awesome!

We also did our first dive for my project today, and it went... eh, it went okay.  I took lots of pictures of corals, and poor Trevor got stung by fire coral.  It was exhausting to swim to close to shore because the waves were knocking us all over the place.  But I got some good research pictures and a few with a donkey dung sea cucumber!  (Yes, that's the real name.  You'll see why.)

Yep, looks like poop.

The attempt...

Got it!  

Another one, just as big!

Not much coral in my quadrat.

Lots of coral in my quadrat!

Porcupine puffer fish!  I love these guys, they're so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment