Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 57

Carnival was amazing!  The kids' parade was on Friday (which I already posted pictures of) and on Sunday afternoon there was an adult parade in town.  The costumes were incredibly elaborate, as you're about to see.  Every single person of age was also carrying a glass of beer, which I imagine made the three circles around town much more fun!

You might want to click on a few of these pictures for bigger resolutions.  The detail they take with these costumes deserves to be appreciated!

First up is the crazy hat ladies.  These women had on face paint, beautiful shiny dresses, and the most elaborate hats I have ever seen.  These hats even light up at night!



Next up: the weather people.  There were at least 20 of them and they had lightning bolts and rainbows.


Oh hey, that's me!
I think these girls were stars?
This dude was stoked to be in the parade.
This lady gets to be the sun AND the moon!
Next up, the peacock people!  Peacocks are not indigenous or even found anywhere on Bonaire.  Just saying.



And some random ones.

I have no idea what's going on here.  They said they were
Peruvian dancers?  Monsters?  I don't know.
Pegasus?
Iguana man was pretty drunk.
Again, no clue.  But I loved the attention to detail... (the next
photo is kinda NSFW, you've been warned.)
Yep.  That's right.  I, for one, appreciate their attention to detail.

Then this massive barge--er, float--comes by!  There's a secret door in the front with a staircase up to the top.  It also sprayed out water from all sides!




I'm still not sure what the theme was, but I think it might have been 'nature.'  Whatever it was, this float was so cool!  (At light it lit up too!  Magical!)


Again, check out the attention to detail!  And the driver
is dressed up as a snorkeler!
And now for a few photos from Tuesday's night parade.  All these costumes were covered in lights but you can't tell in this pictures because I had to use flash.  Sorry!

Butterflies!

Peacocks!
Um... sea creature!
I went back at midnight because they were supposed to be burning a straw man, which signifies the end of Carnival, but I guess island time ran a little early that night and I missed it.  I got to see some fireworks though, so I guess that was nice.  I was pretty bummed!

Me with a star!
Also, of somewhat less interest, we visited a fish farm on Monday!  Technically it's an "aquaculture facility" that raises a fish called colbia.  It's not common, but it is native to Bonaire, so if a fish escapes into the wild it won't really matter.  (Unlike lionfish, which are eating everything and spreading like wildfire.)  The fish were actually pretty cute, and apparently they taste good!  I wanted to ask for a sample but I didn't think the joke would translate well.  Next time, I suppose.

Colbia!  They're being farmed at the facility in an attempt
to try to reduce fishing on the local reefs.

Our guide, Daniel.
Most of the tanks were empty.  The facility is very new.
The family gets here on Saturday!  My mom and sister are getting SCUBA certified, and maybe even my grandpa too!  I can't wait!!!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment