Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 52

Last night we went out for dinner to a tapas restaurant!  I got jumbo shrimp tempura and tuba profiteroles.  They were pretty good but I was really in the mood for pizza.  It was nice to get dressed up though!

When I woke up this morning one of my roommates, Grace, was missing.  We have a rule that if someone isn't home by 8am, we have to notify the administration.  Fortunately she wasn't kidnapped; she had spent the night at her friend Alisha's house.  Phew!

Today I spent the morning sunbathing and went windsurfing in the afternoon!  Everyone else went windsurfing last weekend, but I couldn't because I had my dinner date with the Zales, so this was my first time!  The east side of the island is a lot windier, so that's where all the windsurfing is at.  We took a cab to a place called Jibe City, where they only charged us $15/hour because we're considered locals.  We paid our money, got our boards and sails, and got into the water with zero instruction.  And as expected, I was absolutely awful.

I made this face the whole time.
Yep, that's a pro stance right there.  (Grace is on the left.)
I did okay at first, going in one direction... but then I couldn't turn around.  A ton of people passed me--some of them slowed down (probably to laugh at me) but nobody offered me help.  (I miss the Midwest!)  I tried to move my sail like everyone else, but my board just kept getting pushed backwards instead of going in the right direction.  I feel safe saying that I mastered the art of backwards-windsurfing today.  I had to drag the whole rig back on foot, but once I got back Melia helped me go in the right direction.



Finally got it!
The verdict?  Pretty fun, but only if you're with someone who knows what they're doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment